Sanilac County is named for Sanilac, who was a Wyandotte Indian chieftain or has the meaning “shanty by the lake”.
Created: September 10, 1822
Lexington 1849 – 1877
Sandusky 1877 – present
County Courthouse – Sandusky
Location: 60 West Sanilac Street / South Sandusky Road
Built: 1915 – 1916
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: J E Mills and Son of Detroit
Contractor: Covey Construction Company
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds and has a projecting center section with a stone framed entrance on the first story and two high columns rising from the second story to the third story. Above is a wide header with ornamentation. The first story is faced with stone. On the north side is a large addition.
Note: The first courthouse was built by George S Lester in 1857 for a cost of $2750 in Lexington. A courthouse was built by Julius Hess in Sandusky in 1879 and the building burned on January 17, 1915.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
N – Huron County
E – Ontario, Canada
S – St. Clair County
Photos taken 2008 and 2018