Presque Isle County is named for the French word meaning “almost island” indicating a peninsula.
Created: April 1, 1840
Rogers City 1857 – present
County Courthouse – Rogers City
Location: 151 East Huron Street / North 3rd Street
Built: 1874 – 1875
Architect: Frank Somme
Contractor: Frank Somme
Description: The building faces southwest and is a three story red colored brick and wood structure. The southeast section is the old part and the northwest section was added in 1988. The second story has white colored wood facing. The roof is hipped. The addition had William C Fuller & Associates of Spring Harbor as architect and the contractor was Louis Construction Services of Onaway.
County Courthouse – Onaway
Location: NW – State Street / Main Street
Built: 1908 – 1909
Style: Italian Villa, Romanesque and Renaissance Revival
Architect: Merritt Chandler
Contractor: Merritt Chandler
Description: The building faces south and is a two story gray stone asymmetric structure. Built of poured concrete block building on a fieldstone foundation, the building has a square tower with clock. The building has a low-pitched hip roof with overhanging eaves supported by bracketry. The building servers as the City Hall for Onaway.
Note: After the courthouse was constructed, Merritt Chandler was unable to have the county seat moved, so in 1911 a drive started to carve out a new county for Onaway, to be called “Forest County.” The drive failed, but as a compromise, county court sessions were alternated between Rogers City and Onaway until the 1940s.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
N – Chippewa County and Lake Huron
E – Lake Huron and Ontario, Canada
W – Cheboygan County
Photos taken 2008