Oakland County is named for the many oak trees in the area.
Created: March 28, 1820
Pontiac 1822 – present
County Courthouse – Pontiac
Location: 1200 North Telegraph Road / County Center Drive East
Built: 1960– 1962
Architect: O’Dell Hewlet & Lukenbach
Contractor: O W Burke Company.
Description: The building faces west and is a six story concrete and glass structure with many inter connected buildings. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The building has a three story central entrance. The buildings were constructed in six stages. On the north side is a new tower complex named as the Courthouse Tower. The West Wing was completed in 1963 and the Courthouse Auditorium was completed in 1964. The East Wing was completed in 1968. The five story West Wing Extension was completed in 1994. The Courthouse North Lobby was built in 1995.
Note: The cost of construction of the Courthouse Tower was $3,300,000, the West Wing was $1,600,000., the East Wing was.$3,010,000,the West Wing Extension was $17,000,000 and the Courthouse North Lobby was $1,660,000.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1824. The next courthouse was built in 1858. The previous courthouse was designed by Joseph E Mills of Detroit and constructed by John G Schmidt of Toledo, Ohio in 1904 to 1905. The cost of construction was $103,142.99. The building was demolished in 1962.
County District Court – Pontiac
Location: 70 North Saginaw Street / East Huron Street
Built: 1975 – 1977
Architect: Bruno Leon Associates Inc.
Contractor: Utley-James Inc.
Description: The building faces west and is a three story concrete and glass structure. The west front has a central recessed entrance. The second and third stories extend over the plaza area on the west and on the north and south sides. The windows are horizontal and roof line is flat. The building is named as the William J Waterman Hall of Justice.
County Administration – Pontiac
Location: 2100 Pontiac Lake Road / North Telegraph Road
Description: The building faces south and is a six story dark brown colored concrete and glass structure. The south front has a large concrete framed entrance. The sixth story is recessed. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Executive Office Building.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
E – Macomb County
County District Court
Photos taken 2008 and 2018