Montmorency County is named for Duke of Morenci, who aided the colonies during the American Revolutionary War and his name was misspelled.
Created: May 21, 1881
Brush Creek ( Hillman ) 1881 – 1893
Atlanta 1893 – present
County Courthouse – Atlanta
Location: SW – State Street / Doty Street
Built: 1944 – 1946
Architect: J & G Daverman Company
Contractor: Grant McReady
Description: The building faces east and is a one story stone, concrete and glass structure. The building has a projecting center portico supported by two columns. Gray colored panels are between the upper and lower windows. Light rough stone facing runs between the windows. In 2007, the building was attached to the Judicial Annex constructed in 2000. The architect was Todd Seidell and the contractor was Integrity Construction of Gaylord.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1895. The building burned on January 15, 1942.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
E – Alpena County
S – Oscoda County
W – Otsego County
Photos taken 2008