Monroe County is named for James Monroe, who was President of the United States from 1817 to 1825.
Created: July 14, 1817
Monroe 1817 – present
County Courthouse – Monroe
Location: 106 East First Street / Washington Street
Built: 1878 – 1880
Style: Renaissance Revival
Architect: Edward O Fallis of Toledo, Ohio
Contractor: Keegan & Maurer
Description: The building faces north and is a two story cream colored limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the Public Square. The building has a four story square clock tower on the northwest corner with steep roof and a small parapet at the top. The north front has three high arches with double columns between. The courtroom is located on the north side of the third story. On the east and south are the new additions. The building has had three additions in 1954 along Washington Street, when a four story addition was added. In 1966 another addition was added along First Street. In 1986 on the site of the former Jail, the final addition was added. The architect was TMP Associates of Bloomfield Hills. The building was restored after a fire in 1992.
See: The architect, Edward Oscar Fallis & Company of Toledo, also designed the courthouses in Lenawee County; and in Kansas in Montgomery County; and in Ohio in Paulding County, and in Williams County.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
E – Ontario, Canada
S – Lucas County, Ohio
W – Lenawee County
Photos taken 2008 and 2018