Mecosta County is named for Chief Mecosta, who was a Potawatami Indian Chief whose name means “big bear”.
Created: April 1, 1840
Big Rapids 1859 – present
County Courthouse – Big Rapids
Location: 400 East Elm Street / Ives Avenue
Built: 1969 – 1970
Architect: Stephen T Gerganoff of Ypsilanti
Contractor: Gust Construction Company of Cedar Springs
Description: The building faces west and is a three story buff colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is an “L” shape. The main entrance at the northwest corner has a recessed entrance with glass paneling on the north and east sides. In the interior is an open lobby. The center of the north side has a section of glass paneling. The windows are narrow and vertical. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Mecosta County Building.
Note: The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $1,233,857.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by N J Gibbs and constructed by Crocker & Hudnutt of Big Rapids in 1885 to 1886 at a cost of $30,000. The color scheme of the stone exterior being yellow, orange and green, was similar to the courthouse in Houghton County.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
N – Osceola County
E – Isabella County
S – Montcalm County
W – Newaygo County
Photos taken 2008 and 2015