Macomb County is named for Alexander Macomb Jr, who was a general and veteran of the War of 1812.
Created: January 15, 1818
Mount Clemens 1818 – present
County Courthouse – Mount Clemens
Location: 40 North Main Street / New Street
Built: 1969– 1972
Architect: Ellis/Naeyaert Associates Inc.
Contractor: Utley-James, Inc.
Description: The building faces west and is a six story concrete and glass structure. The building has a recessed glass entrance which rises to the top of the fifth story. The first story is partly open with concrete pillars supporting the rest of the building. Narrow vertical concrete dividers run between the windows. The top story projects from the building and has narrow vertical windows.
Old County Courthouse – Mount Clemens
Location: 10 North Main Street / Crocker Boulevard
Built: 1931– 1933
Style: Art Deco
Architect: George J Haas of St. Clair Shores
Contractor: Otto Misch Company.
Description: The building faces west and is a thirteen story gray limestone, steel and concrete structure. The building was completely finished in 1944. The first and second stories prjoect from the main building. The building is tiered at the top stories.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1818. The second courthouse by T P Castle and William Phelps in 1840. The previous courthouse was designed by N J Biggs and constructed in 1880 to 882 at a cost of $52,000.
County Administration – Mount Clemens
Location: 1 Crocker Boulevard / North Gratiot Avenue
Built: 1996– 1998
Architect: Thomas Strat
Description: The building faces north and is a nine story glass and concrete structure. The building has glass exterior walls. Vertical concrete pillars rise to the top of the building.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
S – Wayne County
W – Oakland County
Photos taken 2008 and 2018