Lenawee County is named for the Native American word meaning “male” or “man”, from the Delaware word “leno” or “lenno” or the Shawnee word “leanawai”.
Created: September 10, 1822
Tecumseh 1826 – 1838
Adrian 1838 – present
County Courthouse – Adrian
Location: 301 North Main Street / East Maple Avenue
Built: 1884 – 1885
Architect: Edward Oscar Fallis of Toledo, Ohio
Contractor: Avery Knapp & Company and Allen & Van Tassel
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and has a projecting central section on the east side with a large rounded arch rising to the top of the second story with a third story section with peaked roof. The building widens in stages to the main section. On the center of the roof is a high square ornate tower with round white colored cupola at the top. The interior has classic reliefs and terra-cotta trim. The courtroom which now houses the Commissioners is located on the west side of the second story.
See: The architect, Edward Oscar Fallis & Company of Toledo, also designed the courthouses in Monroe County; and in Kansas in Montgomery County; and in Ohio in Paulding County, and in Williams County.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
County Judicial Building – Adrian
Location: 425 North Main Street / East Maple Avenue
Built: 1978 – 1979
Architect: Wigen, Tincknell & Associates of Saginaw
Contractor: Elzinga & Volkers, Inc. of Holland
Description: The building faces east and is a four story brown colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the north side of the courthouse. The east and west wings are three stories. The roof line is flat. The building is the Rex B Martin Judicial Building.
Note: The cost of construction was $4,200,000.
E – Monroe County
W – Hillsdale County
Photos taken 2008 and 2018