Leelanau County is named for the Native American word meaning “delight of life”.
Created: April 1, 1840
Northport 1863 – 1883
Leeland 1883 – 2004
Sutons Bay 2004 – present
County Courthouse – Suttons Bay
Location: 8527 East Government Center Drive / Highway 204
Built: 2007 – 2008
Architect: Landmark Design of Grand Rapids
Contractor: DeVere Construction Company of Alpena.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on the side of a hill. The base of the building is concrete. The west front has a long canopy extending from the entrance. A square tower with clock rises on the north side of the entrance. The first story windows are arched.
Old County Courthouse – Leeland
Location: 301 East Cedar Street / Charles Street
Built: 1966 – 1967
Architect: Field, Graheck, Bell & Kline of Traverse City
Contractor: Arnold & Tezak, Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. On the south front is a high portico at the central entrance. The roof line is flat. The building ceased to act as a courthouse in 2008 and stands empty. Behind the building is the old red colored brick jail.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1883 and the wood building was replaced by the 1966 courthouse.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
E – Antrim County
W – Lake Michigan
Photos taken 2008