Lapeer County is named for the French word “la Pierre” which means “stone” or “flint stone”.
Created: September 18, 1822
Lapeer 1835 – present
Old County Courthouse – Lapeer
Location: SW – West Nepessing Street / N. Court Street
Built: 1845 – 1846
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Alvin N Hart and Norman Davidson
Contractor: Norman Davidson
Description: The building faces north and is a two story native white pine structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds on the north side of the courthouse. The north front has a portico supported by four fluted Doric columns. The building has a brick foundation. A three tiered tower rises on the south side of the building. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building was purchased by the County for $3,000 in 1853.
Note: The courthouse is the second oldest courthouse in Michigan after the courthouse in Berrien County, but is the oldest courthouse still in use.
County Courthouse – Lapeer
Location: 255 Clay Street / North Court Street
Built: 1978 – 1980
Architect: Tomlinson. Harburn, Yurk & Associated Inc. of Flint
Contractor: Erickson & Lindstrom Construction Company
Description: The building faces northwest and is a three story rectangular red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on the south side of the old courthouse. The building has a recessed entrance on the northwest corner. The windows are horizontal and the first and second stories are recessed along the north front. The roof line is flat.
Note: The present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $3,500,000.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2008 and 2018