Keweenaw County is named for the Native American word meaning “portage” or “place where portage is made”.
Surrounding County and Canada Courthouses:
N – Lake Superior and Ontario, Canada
E – Lake Superior
W – Lake Superior
Created: March 11, 1861
Eagle River 1861 – present
County Courthouse – Eagle River
Location: 5095 Fourth Street / Pine Street
Built: 1866 – 1867
Style: Colonial Revival
Architect: John B Sweatt of Marquette
Contractor: John B Sweatt of Marquette
Description: The building faces south and is a two story white colored wood structure. The building is located on landscaped gropunds in the center of Eagle River. The building has a high portico supported by six large white colored Doric wood columns with fillets and bases, rising to a pediment. The entrance is a covered one story projection with balcony above. The main section of the building rises behind the portico. The building has a modillioned cornice and pedimented side dormers. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building was remodeled and expanded in 1925.
History: Eagle River became the county seat in 1861. The court first met in a room in the Phoenix Hotel. The first and only courthouse was constructed in 1866 to 1867 at a cost of $6,578.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
County Ciurthouse – Eagle River
Photos taken 2007