Kalkaska County is named for the Chippewa word meaning “flat or burned over country” or from the word “Calcasca” created by Henry Schoolcraft.
Created: April 1, 1840
Round Lake 1871 – 1873
Kalkaska 1873 – present
County Courthouse – Kalkaska
Location: 605 North Birch Street / Evergreen Street
Built: 1975 – 1976
Architect: Paul Hazelton
Contractor: Hallmark Construction and Comstock Construction
Description: The building faces east and is a one story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is two separate units with the Courts on the north and Administration on the south. There is a covered courtyard between the buildings. The windows are vertical and narrow. The administration section has a large white colored section of wall on the east side. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1873 by H L Birdsall and A W Jones. The previous courthouse was designed by Julius Hess and constructed in 1883. The building was demolished and courthouse square became a seniors center in the downtown area.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
N – Antrim County
E – Crawford County
S – Missaukee County
Photos taken 2008