Ionia County is named for a province in Greece.
Created: March 2, 1831
Ionia 1837 – present
County Courthouse – Ionia
Location: 100 Main Street / Hudson Street
Built: 1883 – 1886
Style: Italianate and Renaissance
Architect: David W Gibbs of Toledo, Ohio
Contractor: Clare Allen
Description: The building faces south and is a three story Ionia sandstone structure. The south front has a large portico with three arches on the first story and four columns rising to the top of the third story with decorative pediment above. The foundation is course stone and the first story is course brown sandstone and the upper stories are smooth sandstone. The building has a wide projecting cornice along the roof line. On the center of the roof is a large square clock tower with white colored dome and Statue of Justice at the top. The interior has black and white colored marble floors. The building was renovated in 1994.
Note: The contractor Clare Allen when bankrupt during construction and the project manager, Chauncey Waterbury, completed the construction.
N – Montcalm County
E – Clinton County
W – Kent County
Photos taken 2008