Grand Traverse County is named for the French phrase “grande traverse” meaning “long crossing”.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Kalkaska County
W – Benzie County
Created: April 7, 1851
Traverse City 1851 – present
County Courthouse – Traverse City
Location: 328 Washington Street / Court Street
Built: 1898 – 1900
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: Rush, Bowman and Rush of Grand Rapids and Casscus M Pratt
Contractor: J E Gibson of Logansport, Indiana
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored sandstone structure. The building has a large arch on the first story with recessed door. On the center of the roof rises a high square red colored brick clock tower. The superintendent during construction was Thomas Moulton.
Note: Empire Stites of Kalkaska had been the lowest bidder, but he did not appear with the bond required by the bidding notice and therefore the second lowest bid, Mr. Gibson, with appropriate bond in hand, was accepted. The total indicated by Gibson for construction was $28,749 which would allow the balance of the funds to be utilized for subsequent landscaping – a very pleasant surprise for the Supervisors and the general populace.
County City Governmental Center – Traverse City
Location: 400 Boardman Avenue / Webster Street
Built: 1978 – 1979
Architect: Cornwell-Callahan-Holt, Inc.
Contractor: Jeffress-Dyer, Inc.
Description: The building faces east and is a three story concrete and glass structure. The east front has a central entrance. The second story has vertical dividers at the windows. The third story has horizontal windows. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Governmental Center and houses the City of Traverse City and Grand Traverse offices. The building is located on the south side of the courthouse.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
Photos taken 2008