Genesee County is named for Genesee County in New York which was the home of most of the original settlers in the area.
Created: March 28, 1835
Flint 1836 – present
County Courthouse – Flint
Location: 900 South Saginaw Street / East Court Street
Built: 1925– 1926
Style: Neo-Classical Revival
Architect: Frederick D Madison of Royal Oak
Contractor: Paterson Construction
Description: The building faces east and is a five story concrete frame faced with gray Indiana limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The first and second stories have horizontal limestone with the entrance in the center of the east side. On the third and fourth stories, there are eight stone columns dividing the windows. The roof line projects from the building. In 2001 to 2003, an addition was constructed on the west side. The building faces west and is a four story buff colored brick, concrete and stone structure. The west front has a curved front with high square pillars on the first story. The building is named as the Frank L MacAvinchey Building. The architect was CHMP, Inc. and the contractor was Sorensen Gross Construction Company Inc.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1838. The second courthouse was built in 1867 at a cost of $50,244. The third courthouse was designed by Clark & Munger and constructed by Reed Brother Contracting in 1905 at a cost of $100,000. The building burned on March 14, 1920. The present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $710,000.
County Administration – Flint
Location: 1101 Beech Street / East 7th Street
Built: 1967– 1969
Architect: Sedgewick–Sellers & Associates Inc.
Contractor: Erickson & Lindstrom Construction Company
Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff concrete and glass structure. Thee building is located on landscaped grounds to the south of the courthouse.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
Photos taken 2008 and 2018