Calhoun County is named for John C Calhoun, who was a southern statesman and Vice Present of the United States.
Created: October 19, 1829
Marshall 1833 – present
County Justice Center – Battle Creek
Location: 191 East Michigan Street / North Jay Street
Built: 1993 – 1994
Architect: Cain Associates
Contractor: Walbridge Aldinger
Description: The building faces southwest and is a four story glass, steel and concrete structure. The building is sheeted with dark glass.
Note: The cost of construction was $39,100,000.
County Administration – Marshall
Location: 315 West Green Street / South Park Avenue
Built: 1953 – 1955
Architect: Lewis J Sarvis
Contractor: Floyd J Skidmore
Description: The building faces west and is a two story glass and concrete structure. The building has glass walls divided by vertical narrow concrete dividers. The roof line is flat. The building now houses the County Administration.
Note: The building was constructed around the old courthouse designed by E E Meyers of Detroit in 1875.of Detroit in 1875.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
E – Jackson County
W – Kalamazoo County
Photos taken 2008