Barry County is named for William T Barry, who was the Postmaster General under President Andrew Jackson.
Created: April 29, 1829
Hastings 1839 – present
County Courthouse – Hastings
Location: 220 West State Street / South Church Street
Built: 1892 – 1893
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Architect: Albert E French of Detroit
Contractor: Nichols Brothers of Lansing
Description: The building faces north and is a four story dark red colored brick and stone structure. The building has an arched stone entrance projecting from the building. The base of the building is course stone. On the center of the roof is a high square red colored brick clock tower with peaked roof. The interior has terra cotta fixtures.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by John Lewis and constructed by A W Bailey in 1847 for a cost of $2,381.09. The present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $57,563.53.
See: The architect, Albert E French of Detroit, also designed the courthouse in Livingston County.
County Courts Building – Hastings
Location: 206 West Court Street / South Church Street
Built: 1993 – 1994
Architect: Robert VanPutten of Landmark Design Group of Grand Rapids
Contractor: Pioneer Construction of Grand Rapids
Description: The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick, stone glass and concrete structure. The building has a projecting center section with large archway at the entrance. The first story is faced with light colored stone, the second story is faced with red colored brick and the third story is dark glass. The building is named as the Barry County Courts and Law Building.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
E – Eaton County
W – Allegan County
Photos taken 2008