Alpena County is named for the Native American word meaning “a good partridge country”.
Created: April 1, 1840
Alpena 1857 – present
County Courthouse – Alpena
Location: 720 West Chisholm Street / South 8th Avenue
Built: 1934 – 1935
Style: Art Deco
Architect: William H Kuni of Detroit
Contractor: Henry C Weber Construction Company of Bay City
Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story poured Portland cement made of locally quarried limestone structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The almost square building is one piece of concrete with the foundation, walls, roof, columns and floors joined by reinforced steel bars which hold the poured slabs together. The sides of the building have square vertical pillars with recessed windows between. The northeast front has a center section which rises above the east and west sections. At the top is a clock. The floor of the lobby is terrazo, with brass liners separating the various colors. On the northeast and across the street is the one story modern County Courthouse Annex constructed in 1975.
Note: The first courthouse was destroyed by a fire on December 12, 1870. The previous courthouse was constructed by Samuel Boggs & W H Phelps in 1881. The building burned on December 22, 1932. The present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $130,000.
See: The architect, William H Kuni of Detroit, designed the courthouse in Tuscola County.
County Annex Building – Alpena
Location: 719 West Chisholm Street / North 8th Avenue
Built: 1996 – 1997
Architect: R S Scott Associates, Inc.
Contractor: Lumsden Builders.
Description: The building faces southwest and is a one story concrete and stucco structure. The building is located across from the courthouse. The southwest front has a central recessed entrance. The exterior walls are gray colored stucco with vertical brown colored brick dividers. The roof line is flat.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
E – Lake Huron and Ontario, Canada
S – Alcona County
Photos taken 2008