Worcester County is named the county seat of Worchester which is named for the English city of Worcester and the English Civil War Battle of Worchester in 1651.
Created: April 5, 1731
Worchester 1731 – present
Old County Courthouse – Worcester
Location: 2 Main Street / Highland Street
Built: 1843 – 1845
Style: Greek Revival and Victorian
Architect: Ammi Burnham Young
Contractor: Horatio Tower and David Woodward
Description: The building faces east and is a two story granite structure. The building is located on Lincoln Square. The east front has a large porch with six columns and recessed entrance. Along the roof line is ornamentation. An addition to the southwest corner of the building was designed by Stephen C Earle in 1878. In 1898-1899 a major expansion and remodeling of the building took place. The original courthouse portico was removed and a new facade created on Main Street which incorporated the original six columns and two new ones made to match the originals. The new facade was designed by Andrews, Jaques and Rantoul. and features two pavilions with two columns each, flanking a central section with four columns.
Note: Early county courthouses in Worcester were built in 1733, 1751 and 1802. The cost of construction in 1843 to 1845 was $100,000. Horatio Tower was the carpenter and David Woodward was the mason.
County Courthouse – Worcester
Location: 225 Main Street / Thomas Street
Built: 2005 – 2007
Architect: Shepley, Bulfinch, Richardson and Abbott
Contractor: Gilbane Building Company
Description: The building faces west and is a six story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The west front has a high six story section with entrance on the first story and four columns rising in sections to a pediment at the roof line. Behind the columns are recessed glass windows. On the north and south, two story sections extend to the street. Behind these sections are four story wings with flat roof lines.
Note: The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $180,000,000.
Other Branch Courthouses
Photos taken 2014