Plymouth County

US States / M / Massachusetts / Plymouth County
1964NE17

Plymouth County is named for the town of Plymouth which is the county seat and which was named for the English port city of Plymouth.

 

Created:  June 2, 1685 

County Seat: 

Plymouth  1685 – present

 

County Courthouse – Plymouth  

 

Location:  52 Obery Street /  South Street

Built:  2005 – 2007

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Perry Dean Rogers Architects

Contractor:  Gilbane Building Company

 

Description:  The building faces northwest and is a four story red colored brick, glass and steel structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The southeast side is rectangular with vertical windows and dark red colored brick vertical dividers. On the northwest is a rectangular wing with large glass panels, overhanging sloped roof and buff colored brick. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Plymouth Trial Court. 

 

Note:  The cost of construction was $71,000,000.

 

Old County Courthouse – Plymouth  

 

0630nj17_0

 

Location:  11 Russell Street / Court Street

Built:  1820 – 1821

Style:  Colonial Revival

Architect:  John Blaney Bates of Plymouth

Contractor:  John Blaney Bates of Plymouth

 

Description:  The building faces northeast and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The building is located on the southwest side of a small park. The northeast front has two one story porticoes with balconies on the second story. The second story windows are arched. The center section rises to a peak above the roof line. The roof is hipped. On the center of the roof is an open white colored cupola. The building was remodeled in 1857. The facade was enlarged both north and south by one bay. The architect and the contractor was Edmund Robbins of Plymouth and Jason Perkins and James Ford. In 2017, the building was converted to a residence.

 

Old County Courthouse – Plymouth  

 

1982ne17_0

 

Location:  1 Town Square / Leyden Street

Built:  1749 – 1750

Style:  Colonial

Architect:  Judge Peter Oliver.

Contractor:  Judge Peter Oliver.

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story wood frame structure. The building is located on the Town Square and is five bays wide and three deep, with a center entry flanked by sidelight windows and pilasters, and topped by a gabled pediment. The building served as a courthouse and as town offices and was converted to solely municipal use in 1821. The building is named as the Plymouth Old County Court House and Museum. 

 

Note:  The first courthouse was built in 1620. The 1749 courthouse is the oldest courthouse in the United States.

 

Other Branch Courthouses

 

Brockton    Hingham   /  Wareham

 

Courthouses: 

N – Norfolk County and Suffolk County

E – Atlantic Ocean

S – Barnstable County

W – Bristol County and Norfolk County

 

 

 

1963ne17

 

 

1965ne17

 

 

1966ne17

 

 

1967ne17

 

 

1968ne17

 

 

1969ne17

 

 

1970ne17

 

 

0633nj17

 

 

1972ne17

 

 

1971ne17

 

 

1974ne17

 

 

1975ne17

 

 

1977ne17

 

 

1978ne17

 

 

0636nj17

 

 

0640nj17

 

 

1979ne17

 

 

1980ne17

 

 

1981ne17

 

 

1983ne17

 

 

1984ne17

 

 

1985ne17

 

 

1986ne17

Photos taken 2017