Courthouse – Newburyport
Location: 145 High Street / Green Street
Built: 1805 – 1806
Architect: Charles Bulfinch
Contractor: Charles Bulfinch
Description: The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick structure. The building is located on the north side of a park with Frog Pond on the south side and Bartlet Mall along the north side. The north side has a central framed entrance on the second story which is at ground level. The building is located on a steep slope with the first story visible on the south side. The large courtroom is located on the second story. The roof is hipped. In 1853, the exterior was remodeled.
Note: The courthouse is the oldest courthouse in Massachusetts still in active use.
District Courthouse – Newburyport
Location: 188 State Street / Newburyport Turnpike
Built: 1988 – 1990
Architect: Leers Weinzapfel Associates
Contractor: Eckman Construction Company.
Description: The building faces south and is a two story white colored brick and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds. The south front has a recessed porch on the first story with concrete pillars. The roof line is sloped. The building houses the District Court.
See: The Essex County courthouse is located in Salem.
Photos taken 2014 and 2017