Essex County

US States / M / Massachusetts / Essex County
1364NE14

Essex County is named for Essex County in England.

 

Created:  May 10, 1643

County Seat: 

Salem 1643 – present

 

County Courthouse – Salem 

 

Location:  34 Federal Street / Washington Street

Built:  2007 – 2011

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Joan E Goody of Goody Clancy Associates

Contractor:  Daniel O’Connell’s Sons

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a five story structure. The building is located at the west end of the courthouse complex. The south front has seven tall columns rising to an overhanging roof. The recessed entrance has glass panels. The windows along the south and west sides are vertical. On the north side is the five story glass walled section. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the J Michael Ruane Judicial Center. On the southwest sides is the old red colored brick Baptist Church built in 1806 which has been incorporated into the new building on the north side.

 

Note:  The cost of construction was $116,000,000.

 

Old County Courthouse – Salem 

 

1381ne14

 

Location:  34 Federal Street / Washington Street

Built:  1861 – 1862

Style:  Italianate and Richardsonian Romanesque

Architect:  Enoth Fuller

Contractor:  Simeon Flint & Abrahan Towk

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick structure. The south front has a projecting center section with large arch and recessed entrance on the first story. The second story has four narrow vertical windows and the third story has a double window with peaked roof above. The windows are arched. At the northeast corner is a high square red colored brick tower with steep roof. The roof is hipped. The building was further renovated in 1889. The architect was Homan K Wheeler & W W Northend.

 

Old County Courthouse – Salem 

 

1374ne14

 

Location:  32 Federal Street / Washington Street

Built:  1840 – 1841

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  Richard Bond

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Desscription:  The building faces south and is a two story gray colored granite structure. The building is the first building in the courthouse complex. The south front has a recessed porch and entrance with two large columns rising to a header. A wide pediment is located at the roof line. The building is connected to the 1861 courthouse on the west side. The architect wasand the contractor was *. The building was remodeled in 1861. The architect was Enoch Fuller and the contractor was Simeon Flint & Abraham Towle. An addition was added in 1889. The architect was Horce K Wheeler & W W Northend.

 

Note:  The first courthouse was built in 1785.

 

Old County Registry of Deeds – Salem 

 

1389ne14

 

Location:  32 Federal Street / Washington Street

Built:  1907 – 1909

Style:  Neo-Classical

Architect:  Clarence Blackall

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Desscription:  The building faces south and is a two story gray colored granite structure. The central section of the south front projects from the main building and has a large portico with six columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The front of the building has vertical pilasters between the windows. The roof line is flat. The architect was and the contractor was *. On the north side is a five story concrete and glass addition. The architect was Phineas Alpers Inc.

 

Other Branch Courthouses

 

Gloucester  /  Haverhill  Lawrence /  Lynn  /   Newburyport  /  Peabody

 

Courthouses: 

N – Rockingham County, New Hampshire

E – Atlantic Ocean

S – Atlantic Ocean and Suffolk County

W – Middlesex County and Hillsborough County, New Hampshire 

 

 

 

1369ne14

 

 

1365ne14

 

 

1366ne14

 

 

1367ne14

 

 

1370ne14

 

 

1368ne14

 

 

1373ne14

 

 

1371ne14

 

 

1372ne14

 

 

1382ne14

 

 

1383ne14

 

 

1384ne14

 

 

1375ne14

 

 

1376ne14

 

 

1377ne14

 

 

1378ne14

 

 

1379ne14

 

 

1386ne14

 

 

1387ne14

 

 

1388ne14

Photos taken 2014