Washington County

US States / M / Maryland / Washington County

Washington County is named for George Washington, who was the first President of the United States from 1789 to 1797.


Created:  September 6, 1776

County Seat: 

Hagerstown  1776 – present


County Courthouse – Hagerstown 


Location:  95 West Washington Street / Summit Avenue

Built:  1872 – 1874

Style:  Italianate

Architect:  Henry A Simms and James F Simms of Philadelphia

Contractor:  Robert C Thornburg


Description:  The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and brownstone structure. The north front has a slightly projecting center section with entrance on the first story having a small stone pediment above. The center section rises above the roof line and has a mansard roof. A horizontal cornice runs between the first and second stories. The windows are arched with higher windows along the second story. On each corner are square towers with mansard roofs.


Note:  The second courthouse was constructed in 1818 to 1822. The architect was Benjamin H Latrobe and the contractor was Thomas Harbaugh. The courthouse burned on December 6, 1871 and was rebuilt in 1872 to 1874.


County Courts Building – Hagerstown 




Location:  24 Summit Avenue / West Washington Street

Built:  1961 – 1963

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown


Description:  The building faces west and is a three story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on the south side of the courthouse. The west front has three vertical pillars with a recessed entrance with windows above on the second and third stories. The roof line is flat. The building was renovated in 1992. The architect was J C Burrey and the contractor was Morgan-Keller, Inc.



N – Fulton County, Pennsylvania and Franklin County, Pennsylvania

E – Frederick County

S – Loudon County, Virginia, Jefferson County, West Virginia,  Berkeley County, West Virginia, and  Morgan County, West Virginia

W – Alleghany County





County Courthouse
















County Courts Building







Photos taken 2012