Saint Mary’s County is named for the Virgin Mary and was the first county in the colony intended to be a haven for Catholics.
Created: January 24, 1637
Leonardtown 1637 – present
County Courthouse – Leonardtown
Location: 41605 Court House Drive / Washington Street
Built: 1901 – 1902
Style: Colonial Revival
Architect: B F Smith Construction Company
Contractor: B F Smith Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The north front has a large portico with four tall white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The recessed entrance is arched with a white colored frame. A narrow horizontal belt runs below the second story windows. The roof is hipped. The building was remodeled in 1956 and 1957. The architect was Frederick Tilp and the contractor was Merviell M Dean. On the south side is a modern three story red colored brick addition.
County District Court – Leonardtown
Location: 23110 Leonard Hall Drive / Hollywood Road
Built: 1988 – 1990
Description: The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has a central entrance on the second story with two large columns and glass panels. Above is a red colored brick gable at the roof line. The windows are horizontal. The land slopes to the north exposing the first story. The roof is hipped.
W – Charles County
Photos taken 2013