Somerset County is named for Mary, Lady Somerset, who was the sister-in-law of Caecilius Calvert, 2nd Baron Baltimore.
Created: August 22, 1666
Somerset Town 1666 – 1694
Dividing Creek 1694 – 1742
Princess Anne 1742 – present
County Courthouse – Princess Anne
Location: 30512 Prince William Street / Somerset Avenue
Built: 1904 – 1905
Style: Georgian Revival
Architect: Frank E Davis and Henry R Davis
Contractor: Washington P Pusey and Son of Snow Hill
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and Indiana limestone structure. The south front has a large portico with four columns rising to a balcony on the second story. At the roof line is a pediment. The second story windows are arched. The building has a west wing. The roof is hipped.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1747 and later burned. The previous courthouse was built in 1833 and the present courthouse stands on the same site. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $28,451.
County District Court – Princess Anne
Location: 12155 Elm Street / Valentine Drive
Description: The building faces west and is a one story concrete and glass structure. The building is located in a strip mall.
E – Worcester County
S – Accomack County, Virginia
Photos taken 2013