Charles County is named for Charles Calvert, 3rd Baron Baltimore, who was the second proprietor of the Maryland colony.
Created: April 13, 1658
La Plata 1658 – present
County Courthouse – La Plata 1658 – present
Location: 200 Charles Street / Washington Avenue
Built: 1953 – 1954
Style: Modern Colonial Revival
Architect: Federick Tilp
Contractor: Kahn Engineering Company.
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The south front has a large portico at the central entrance with four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a square cupola with round sections at the top. The roof is hipped. The north side of the building is glass with a connection to another building on the north side.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Port Tobacco in 1819. In 1892, the previous courthouse was designed by Joseph C Johnson and constructed by James Haislip.
Photos taken 2013