Caroline County is named for Lady Caroline Eden, who was the daughter of Charles Calvert, 5th Baron Baltimore.
Created: June 15, 1773
Several locations 1773 – 1797
Denton 1797 – present
County Courthouse – Denton
Location: 109 Market Street / 2nd Street
Built: 1895 – 1896
Style: Georgian Revival
Architect: Joseph H Bernard
Contractor: Stemmons & Lankford
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure. The south front has a large portico with four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. There is a small balcony above the entrance. On the center of the roof is a large square white colored cupola with bell shaped dome with a clock at the top. An addition was built on the north side in 1966. The architect was Walton & Madden and the contractor was Field Construction Company.
Note: The previous courthouse was presumed to have been designed by William Buckland of Annapolis and built in 1797. The building was replaced by the present courthouse which cost $21,000 to construct. The courthouse is similar to the courthouse in Worchester County and the contractors were the same.
County District Court – Denton
Location: 207 South 3rd Street / Fountain Avenue
Architect: UDelmar Architects Inc. of Olney
Description: The building faces west and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has three square opening with a recessed entrance at the center opening. The sides are inclined towards the center which has a sloped roof and rise at the center section.
Photos taken 2013