West Feliciana Parish

US States / H-L / Louisiana / West Feliciana Parish
West Feliciana

West Feliciana Parish is named for Felicite de Galvez, who was the wife of Bernardo de Galvez a Spanish governor of the Louisiana Territory.

 

Created:  February 17, 1824

County Seat: 

St. Francisville   1824 – present

 

Parish Courthouse – St. Francisville   

 

Location:  4785 Prosperity Street / Ferdinand Street

Built:  2004 – 2005

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Holly & Smith

Contractor:  Arkel Constructors Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The west front has a small portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The building has wide eaves along the flat roof. On the west side is the old courthouse.

 

Old Parish Courthouse – St. Francisville   

 

1603no11

 

Location:  4785 Prosperity Street / Ferdinand Street

Built:  1903 – 1904

Style:  Beaux Arts

Architect:  Andrew J Bryan

Contractor:  M T Lewman & Company

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick structure. On each side is a portico with four thin columns rising to a pediment. On the center of the roof is an octagonal dome with clock and black colored roof. An addition was constructed on the west side in 1963.

 

See:  The contractor M T Lewman and Company of Louisville, Kentucky.

 

Note:  Between 1824 and 1829, the courthouse was a rented two story building. From 1829 to 1853, the second courthouse was the old St. Francisville Hotel and the third courthouse was constructed in 1852 on the site of the present courthouse constructed in 1903.

 

See:  The old Feliciana Parish Courthouse is located at Jackson in East Feliciana Parish.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Wilkinson County, Mississippi

E – East Feliciana Parish

S – East Baton Rouge Parish and Pointe Cupee Parish

W – Pointe Coupee Parish

 

 

 

1609no11

 

 

1610no11

 

 

1612no11

 

 

2148t17

 

 

1613no11

 

 

2144t17

 

 

1602no11

 

 

1604no11

 

 

1605no11

 

 

1606no11

 

 

2142t17

 

 

1607no11

 

 

1608no11

Photos taken 2011 and 2017