Vernon Parish

US States / H-L / Louisiana / Vernon Parish
Vernon -O

Vernon Parish is named for Mount Vernon, the home of George Washington, the first President of the United States.

 

Created:  March 30, 1871

Parish Seat  :        

Leesville  1871 – present

 

Old Parish Courthouse – Leesville 

 

Location:  201 South 3rd Street / East Lulu Street

Built:  1909 – 1910

Style:  Greek Revival and Beaux Arts

Architect:  J L Thurmon & Company

Contractor:   F B Hull Construction Company of Jackson, Mississippi

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story white colored stucco structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square and is shaped is shaped like a Greek cross. The west front has a large portico supported by four high white colored columns rising to a portico at the roof line. The north and south wings extend at an angle. There is another portico on the south side. On the center of the roof is a large white colored cupola with clock. The building was renovated and restored in 1990. The architect was Richard Leblanc Architects Inc. and the contractor was Pat Williams Construction Inc. The building was renovated in 2000. The architect was King Architects. On the east side to the Jail & Courthouse Annex constructed in 1974. The architect was Yeager – Young Associates and the contractor was McInnis Brothers Inc.

 

Note:  The third level cupola housed a bell that has been removed and is now located in a gazebo on the northwest side lawn. The previous courthouse was built by P J Duffy in 1899.

 

Parish Courthouse – Leesville 

 

2464t17

 

Location:  215 North 4th Street / East Lulu Street

Built:  1906 – 1907

Style:  Neo-Classical

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a three story structure. The building is located on the west side of Courthouse Square and was the First National Bank and was converted into the Vernon Parish Courthouse Annex and then into the courthouse. The main entrance is on the west side where there is a portico on the first story with pediment above. The east side preserves the bank’s original appearance. The roof line is flat.

 

Parish Government Complex – Leesville 

 

2473t17

 

Location:  215 North 4th Street / East Lulu Street

Built:  1906 – 1907

Style:  Colonial Revival

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces east and is

 

Courthouses: 

N – Sabine Parish and Natchitoches Parish

E – Rapides Parish

S – Allen Parish and Beauregard Parish

W – Newton County, Texas

 

 

 

0777no11

 

 

0778no11

 

 

0779no11

 

 

0780no11

 

 

0782no11

 

 

2444t17

 

 

2445t17

 

 

2448t17

 

 

2451t17

 

 

2452t17

 

 

2453t17

 

 

2454t17

 

 

0783no11

 

 

0785no11

 

 

2466t17

 

 

2463t17

 

 

0788no11

 

 

0789no11

 

 

0790no11

 

 

2465t17

 

 

2469t17

Photos taken 2010 and 2017