Terrebonne Parish is named for the French words “terre bonne”, meaning “good earth”.
Created: March 22, 1822
Houma 1822 – present
Parish Courthouse – Houma
Location: 7856 West Main Street / Goodie Street
Built: 1937 – 1938
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Wogan and Bernard
Contractor: Caldwell Brothers and Hart
Description: The building faces north and is a three story stone structure. The north front has a central entrance on the first story with canopy above. On the second story are columns rising to the top of the third story. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed by Felix Daspit in 1875. An addition was constructed in 1892 by James A Kelly.
Parish Courthouse Annex – Houma
Location: SW – School Street / Goodie Street
Built: 1967 – 1968
Architect: Rizzo-Thibodeaux & Associates and Gay M Staub
Contractor: Pittman Construction Company, Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a three story concrete structure. The building has a number of vertical concrete pillars on the exterior with recessed walls and narrow vertical windows. Wide stairs ascend to the second story. The roof line is flat.
E – Lafourche Parish
S – Gulf of Mexico
W – Gulf of Mexico and Saint Mary Parish
Photos taken 2011