Saint Tammany Parish is named for Chief Tamanend, who was chief of the Lenni-Lenape nation in the Delaware Valley in Pennsylvania and who played a prominent role in the establishment of peaceful relations with the English settlers.
Created: October 27, 1810
Claiborne 1810 – 1838
Covington 1838 – present
Parish Courthouse – Covington
Location: 701 North Columbia Street / Jefferson Avenue
Built: 2001 – 2003
Architect: Richard C Lambert Consulting, LLC and Pierce, Goodwin, Alexander & Linville ( PGAL )
Contractor: Brice Building Company, Inc.
Description: The building faces northeast and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The northeast front has a large recessed porch with two high columns with pediment above. Behind the pediment is a higher peak. There is a large arch on either side. The recessed entrance has a glass wall rising to the third story. The roof line is flat.
Old Parish Courthouse – Covington
Location: 510 East Boston Street / New Hampshire Street
Built: 1958 – 1959
Architect: August Perez & Associates
Contractor: Keller Construction Corporation
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The south front has a large glass paneled entrance on the first story with mural on the west side. And projecting one story red colored brick section on the east side. The roof line is flat. The building now houses the Emergency Rescue Administration.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Sully, Buryon & Stone and constructed by D E Kimble in 1896.
Old Parish Courthouse – Claiborne
Built: 1818 – 1819
Architect: Robert Layton
Contractor: Robert Layton
Description: The building faces north and is
Photos taken 2011 and 2017