Red River Parish is named for the Red River, which is part of the Mississippi River watershed and which was named for the red colour of the clay in the water.
Created: March 2, 1871
Coushatta 1871 – present
Parish Courthouse – Coushatta
Location: 615 East Carroll Street / Court Street
Built: 1928 – 1929
Style: Beaux Arts and Classical Revival
Architect: William T Nolan
Contractor: Sandquist & Snow
Description: The building faces north and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The north front has a large portico with four high columns supporting a pediment at the roof line. A balustrade runs along the roof line. With a raised center section with sloped red colored roof and an octagonal red colored cupola with red colored roof. A new one story buff colored brick and concrete addition was built on the south side in 1982. The entrance along the east side has a concrete semi-circular arch.
W – De Soto Parish
Photos taken 2011 and 2017