Rapides Parish is named for the local river rapid which are “rapides” in French.
Created: April 10, 1805
Alexandria 1807 – present
Parish Courthouse – Alexandria
Location: 701 Murray Street / Foisy Street
Built: 1938 – 1939
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Edward F Neild, D A Somdal and Edward F Neild Jr.
Contractor: James T Taylor.
Description: The building faces northwest and is a seven story concrete structure. The northwest front has a high center section with two high divides with windows between. The windows have vertical brown panels between. The north and south sides are lower and one story wings extend from the corners. The roof line is flat. An annex was constructed in 1974.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1859 and the next courthouse in 1873. In 1903, the courthouse was designed by J Relly Gordon and constructed by F B Hull Construction Company.
W – Vernon Parish
Photos taken 2011 and 2017