Plaquemines Parish is named for a word “paresimmons” created from the Louisiana Creole French and the Mobile Native American languages.
Created: March 31, 1807
Pointe a la Hache 1807 – present
Parish Courthouse – Belle Chasse
Location: 301 Main Street / Avenue G
Description: The building faces west and is a two story cream colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has two entrances on the first story. Vertical piasters are along the front. The roof is sloped.
Old Parish Courthouse – Pointe a la Hache
Location: 100 North State Street / Fontenell Lane
Built: 1890 – 1891
Style: Renaissance Revival
Architect: N Downey & Kiddell
Contractor: Surgi & Topp
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building faces onto the Mississippi River. The west front has a high clock tower with an arched entrance on the first story. The building stands in ruins after a fire on January 12, 2002. The building was rebuilt in 1915 to 1916. The architect was N Richarme and the contractor was Lionel F Favret.
E – Gulf of Mexico
S – Gulf of Mexico
W – Gulf of Mexico and Jefferson Parish
Photos taken 2011