Orleans Parish is named for the Duke of Orleans, who was the regent of France.
Created: March 31, 1807
New Orleans 1807 – present
Parish Criminal Courthouse – New Orleans
Location: 2700 Tulane Avenue / Broad Street
Built: 1929 – 1930
Architect: Dibolli & Owens
Contractor: R P Farnsworth & Company, Inc.
Description: The building faces northeast and is a three story structure with Art Deco elements. The center section on the east side has twelve high columns with wide header above. Wide steps ascend to the central entrance. On the south and north of the front are two projecting square towers on either side. The roof line is flat.
Parish Civil Courthouse – New Orleans
Location: 421 Loyola Avenue / Poydras Street
Built: 1954 – 1955
Architect: Mathes Birgman & Associates and Goldstein, Parham & Labouisse and August, Perez & Associates
Contractor: R P Farnsworth Company Inc.
Description: The building faces east and is a four story glass and concrete structure. The entrance on the north side is one story with glass doors and stone facing. The main building has glass windows along the first story and vertical glass windows between stone facing on the east side. The building is connected to the City Hall on the west side. The roof line is flat.
Algiers Municipal Courthouse – New Orleans
Location: 225 Morgan Street ( Algiers ) / Bermuda Street
Built: 1896 – 1897
Architect: Linus Brown and Alonzo Bell
Contractor: John McNally
Description: The building faces north and is a two story style structure. The building is known as the Algier Court House. The building has a clock tower on the northeast corner and another tower on the northwest corner. There is a small portico on the north front with balcony on the second story. The windows are arched. The roof line is flat.
See: Located in the Parish is the Louisiana Supreme Court.
W – Jefferson Parish
Photos taken 2011