Morehouse Parish is named for Abraham Morehouse, who was an early settler.
Created: March 25, 1844
Bastrop 1844 – present
Parish Courthouse – Bastrop
Location: 100 West Madison Avenue / South Washington Street
Built: 1914 – 1915
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Stevens and Nelson Company of New Orleans
Contractor: Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky
Description: The building faces north and is a three story buff brick style structure. The north and south sides have a large central porch with four white columns rising to a wide header with the third story above. The east and west sections of the building are recessed in three sections. On the center of the roof is an octagonal dome with clock and black round roof. The roof line is flat. Additions were made in 1935. The architect was J W Smith & Associates and the contractor was Gravier & Harper. A further addition was added in 1966. The architect Jacka & Mattison.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1871.
See: The contractor Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky.
N – Ashley County, Arkansas
W – Union Parish
Photos taken 2011