Grant County is named for Ulysses Grant, who led the Union forces to victory in the Civil War and who was elected President of the United States.
Created: March 4, 1869
Colfax 1869 – present
Parish Courthouse – Colfax
Location: 200 Main Street / 3rd Street
Built: 1954 – 1955
Architect: Barron, Heinberg & Brocato of Alexandria
Contractor: Gravier & Harper
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The entrance is at the northern part of the northwest front with glass windows on the first and second stories. Between the stories is a horizontal band with circles. The windows are vertical and narrow. An addition was constructed in 1966. The architect was J E Fryar and the contractor was McInnis Brothers, Inc.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by W S Hull and constructed by W S Hull and F B Hull in 1902.
See: The architect, Barrow, Heinberg & Brocato of Alexandria, also designed the courthouse in La Salle Parrish.
N – Winn Parish
E – La Salle Parish
S – Rapides Parish
Photos taken 2011 and 2017