Evangeline Parish is named for the Acadian heroine of the poem “Evangeline” by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
Created: June 15, 1910
Ville Platte 1910 – present
Parish Courthouse – Ville Platte
Location: 200 Court Street / West Main Street
Built: 1976 – 1977
Architect: Meleton, Patin and Guillory Architects Ltd.
Contractor: J B Gauthier.
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The central entrance on the east front is recessed with glass walls, canopy and a small courtyard. The building has few windows. The roof line is flat. In front of the building is the cupola from the 1912 courthouse.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Emile Weil and constructed by C D Stewart in 1912.
N – Rapides Parish
W – Allen Parish
Photos taken 2011