East Feliciana Parish is named for Felicite de Galvez, who was the wife of Bernardo de Galvez a Spanish governor of the Louisiana Territory.
Created: February 17, 1824
Clinton 1824 – present
Parish Courthouse – Clinton
Location: 12305 Saint Helena Street / Bank Street
Built: 1840 – 1841
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: J S Savage
Contractor: Lafayette Saunders
Description: The building faces south and is a two story white colored brick structure. The building has high white colored Doric columns around each side supporting the overhanging roof. There is a small balcony above the south entrance. On the center of the roof is an octagonal dome with black colored roof. In 2011, the building was The architect was John Milner Associates of Alexandria, Virginia and the contractor was Cangeiosi Ward Contractors LLC of Baton Rouge.
Old Feliciana Parish Courthouse – Jackson
Location: 1752 High Street / College Street
Built: 1816 – 1817
Architect: James Turner
Contractor: David Fluker
Description: The building faces north and is a one story red colored brick and wood structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on a bluff above the downtown. The front has a wide porch with four white colored pillars. The roof is hipped. The building is now a tourist information center.
Note: The original building was two stories and was reduced to one story after a disastrous fire in 1876. The porch was added in 1963. The building served as the courthouse for the Feliciana Parish until 1824, when the Parish was divided into East and West Feliciana. The land was donated by James Ficklin and John Horton in 1815.
Photos taken 2011 and 2017