De Soto Parish is named for Hernando de Soto, who was a Spanish explorer who discovered and named the Mississippi River.
Created: April 1, 1843
Mansfield 1843 – present
Parish Courthouse – Mansfield
Location: 101 Texas Street / Washington Avenue
Built: 1911 – 1912
Style: Beaux Arts and Classical Revival
Architect: Favrot & Livaudais
Contractor: Corbin Brothers.
Description: The building faces south and is a two story brown colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The south front has a projecting center section with entrance on the first story. Above the entrance is a small balcony on the second story and a balustrade at the roof line. A wide cornice runs between the first and second stories and along the flat roof line. The windows on the second story are arched. On the east side of the building is the two story County Administration Building.
Old Parish Courthouse – Mansfield
Location: NW – Polk Street / Madison Street
Style: Log Cabin
Description: The building faces east and is a one story log cabin structure. Tthe old log cabin structure acted as the De Soto Parish Courthouse until 1854. The east front has a small porch. The roof is hipped. The building was discovered as part of the General Ross Hewitt home when that building was demolished. The building was restored in 1980 and the contractor was Dennis Manthel. The building is located on landscaped grounds behind the Post Office. The building is now a museum.
Note: The second courthouse was built by Johnson in 1850.
N – Caddo Parish
S – Sabine Parish
Photos taken 2011 and 2017