Concordia Parish is named for an early land grant called New Concordia from the “concord” reached by local authorities over a mutual surrender of slaves, or for a mansion called Concordia which was owned by Governor de Leomos, and “condoria” in Latin means “peace or harmony”.
Created: April 10, 1805
Parish Seat :
Vidalia 1807 – present
Old Parish Courthouse – Vidalia
Location: North Spruce Street / Carter Street
Built: 1929 – 1930
Architect: J W Smith and Associates
Contractor: M T Reed Construction Company of Monroe
Description: The building faces south and is a four story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The center section of the building projects from the main building. The central entrance is framed. The roof line is flat.
Parish Courthouse – Vidalia
Location: 4100 Carter Street / Advocates Drive
Built: 1978 – 1979
Architect: Barron, Heinberg, Brocato of Alexandria
Contractor: Westerchill Construction Company in Alexandria
Description: The building faces south and is a one story glass and concrete structure. The south center section is a recessed glass wall rising above the main building. The east and west wings have wide horizontal bands with buff brick between. The roof line is flat.
N – Tensas Parish
Photos taken 2011