Caddo Parish is named for the Caddo Native American people.
Created: January 18, 1838
Shreveport 1838 – present
Parish Courthouse – Shreveport
Location: 501 Texas Street / McNeil Street
Built: 1926 – 1928
Style: Classical Revival and Moderne
Architect: Edward F Neild
Contractor: Glassell-Wilson Company
Description: The building faces northwest is a seven story white colored limestone structure. The north and south central entrances have a large arch rising two stories. The main section is recessed and rises four stories with vertical columns rising from the fourth to sixth story on the north and south sides dividing the windows. The seventh top story is also recessed and has arched windows. The roof line is flat. The foyer has Rosatta marble walls. The floors are laid in alternating squares of pink and gray Tennessee marble with a border of Belgian black marble. There are bronze lamps hanging in the foyer. The building was remodeled from 1970 to 1971. The architect was Somdal – Smitherman – Sorensen – Sherman Associates and the contractor was The Werner Company Inc.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by L W Weathers and constructed by Moodie & Ellis in 1890 to 1891.
Parish Juvenile Justice Complex – Shreveport
Location: 1835 Spring Street / Cornwell Avenue
Built: 1989 – 1991
Architect: Slack Bradley Miremont & Associates
Contractor: McInnis Brothers Construction, Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The north front has a curved center section with vertical concrete pillars with glass windows between. Vertical concrete bands run across the building. The roof line is flat.
See: Located in the parish is the Louisiana Second Court of Appeal.
N – Miller County, Arkansas
E – Bossier Parish
Photos taken 2010 and 2017