Bossier Parish

US States / H-L / Louisiana / Bossier Parish
Bossier

Bossier Parish is named for Pierre Bossier, who was a state senator and United States Representative from Natchitoches Parish.

 

Created:  February 24, 1843

Parish Seat: 

Fredonia  1843 – 1852

Bellevue  1852 – 1888

Benton    1888 – present

 

Parish Courthouse – Benton  

 

Location:  204 Burt Boulevard / Benton Road

Built:  1970 – 1972

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Merideth & Kelly

Contractor:  J P McMichael Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a five story buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped ground to the south of the center of Benton. The south front has a central recessed entrance on the first story. The middle stories have long vertical adjoining windows. The top story has square windows. The roof line is flat. On the west side is the new addition built in 2003 and completed in 2007. The architect was Alliance Incorporated and HDR Architects, Inc. and the contractor was Walton Construction.

 

Note:  The first Police Jury met at Bodcau Bayou in 1843. The first courthouse was a wood building built in Fredonia in 1843. The second courthouse was a two story brick structure built in Bellevue at a cost of $23,000 in 1852. The third courthouse was the Robinson’s Hotel in Benton in 18888 when the parish seat moved. In 1893 the fourth courthouse was built in Benton at a cost of $23,684. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1972.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Lafayette County, Arkansas

E – Webster Parish and Bienville Parish

S – Red River Parish and Caddo Parish

W – Caddo Parish

 

 

 

1751t10

Parish Courthouse – Benton

 

 

1752t10

 

 

1753t10

 

 

1754t10

 

 

1755t10

 

 

1758t10

 

 

1760t10

 

 

1761t10

1762t10

Photos taken 2010