Avoyelles Parish is named for the Avoyel Native American people.
Created: March 31, 1807
Marksville 1807 – present
Parish Courthouse – Marksville
Location: 301 North Main Street / Mark Street
Built: 1926 – 1927
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Herman J Duncan
Contractor: Caldwell Brothers
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has a large porch with six large columns rising to a wide stone header at the top of the third story. There are three doorways framed with stone. The roof line is flat. The building was renovated from 1976 to 1978.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Emile Weil and constructed by C D Stewart in 1912.
Photos taken 2011