Meade County is named for James Meade, who was killed at the Battle of River Raisin.
Created: December 17, 1823
Brandenburg 1823 – present
County Courthouse – Brandenburg
Location: 516 Fairway Drive / Courthouse Drive
Built: 1975 – 1976
Architect: Nolan and Nolan of Louisville
Contractor: Shirman Brothers of Corydon, Indiana
Description: The building faces south and is a one story brown colored brick, steel and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds and sits on the top of a low hill, The windows are long from the ground to the wide white colored cornice. The south front has a concrete portico extending from the top of the building, with the doorways recessed. The entrance is divided into three vertical sections with the doorway in the center. The center part of the building is raised.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1872 and was destroyed by a tornado in 1974.
E – Hardin County
Photos taken 2007 and 2018