Whitley County is named for William Whitley, who was a Kentucky pioneer, and who lived from 1749 to 1813.
Created: January 17, 1818
Williamsburg 1818 – present
County Courthouse – Williamsburg
Location: 200 Main Street / North 3rd Street
Built: 1931 – 1932
Style: Modern Colonial Revival
Architect: W A Rotherford Jr.
Contractor: Kirkpatrick & Robertson
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story red colored brick, skeletal steel and stone structure. The southeast front has a portico supported by metal pillars sitting on four cut stone blocks, with a pediment at the roof. Narrow recessed sections are on the north and south with rounded roofs. Red panels separate the windows in a vertical pattern. Between the windows is red colored brick. A stone cornice and stone trim at the corners are along the building. The building was substantially renovated in 1971. The architect was D E Perkins and the contractor was Arthur Hibbitts. Further additions and a renovation were done in 1989. The architect was Richard L Reecher and the contractor was D W Wilburn Inc. In 2006, the architect was Ross & Tarrant, Architects, Inc. and the contractor was Parmac, LLC., E D A Construction, Company, Inc and W D Bryant & Sons, Inc.. In 2008, the architect was Ross & Tarrant, Architects, Inc. and the contractor was Craig Mullin Construction.
Note: The first courthouse was constructed in 1819 at a cost of $2,800. A second courthouse was constructed in 1880 and was damaged by fire in 1931.
County Judicial Center – Williamsburg
Location: 100 Main Street / North 2nd Street
Built: 2009 – 2011
Architect: Murphy & Graves of Lexington
Contractor: Codell Construction Company of Winchester
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The south corner has a square three story red colored brick tower with large arched window and entrance on the first story and rising to a clock and peaked roof at the top. The second story has large arched windows. The roof line is mansard with fla center section and with hexagonal white colored cupola at the south corner.
N – Laurel County
W – McCreary County
Photos taken 2007 and 2014