Webster County

US States / H-L / Kentucky / Webster County
0454K07

Webster County is named for Daniel Webster, who was the United States Secretary of State from 1841 to 1843 and from 1850 to 1852.

 

Created:  February 29, 1860

County Seat: 

Dixon  1860 – present

 

County Courthouse – Dixon 

 

Location:  SE – Highway 41 / Highway 132

Built:  1939 – 1941

Style:  Art Deco

Architect:   Lawrence Casner of Madisonville

Contractor:  Russell Petrie

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a three story poured concrete structure. The west front has four large concrete pillars forming three rectangular arches, with the entrance in the center of the first story. Above the arches is a clock. The roof line is flat. Two large Art Deco lamp are on either side of the wide steps.

 

Note:  Works Project Administration provided a grant of $143,000. The courthouse is similar to the courthouse in Caldwell County.

 

See:  The architect,  Lawrence Casner of Madisonville, designed the courthouses in Caldwell County and Hopkins County.

 

County Judicial Center – Dixon 

 

0459k07

 

Location:  NE – Highway 41 / Segal Street

Built:  1939 – 1941

Style:  Modern

Architect:   Michael F Barton

Contractor:  Codell Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story poured concrete structure like the courthouse which is on the north side. At the west front are three large rectangular arches with glass windows. This front section extends from the main building. On the roofline is a decorative cornice. The roopf line is flat.

 

Note:  The cost of construction was $3,500,000.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Union County and Henderson County

E – McLean County

S – Hopkins County

W – Crittenden County and Union County

 

 

 

0453k07

 

 

0455k07

 

 

x1

 

 

x_1

 

 

0457k07

 

 

0456k07

 

 

0460k07

 

 

0458k07

Photos taken 2007