Rowan County

US States / H-L / Kentucky / Rowan County
0614WV12

Rowan County is named for John Rowan, who was a Congressman from Kentucky.

 

Created:  March 15, 1856

County Seat: 

Morehead 1856 – present

 

County Courthouse – Morehead 

 

Location:  600 West Main Street / Norman Wells Lane

Built:  2009 – 2011

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Sherman-Carter Barnhart

Contractor:  Packs, Inc. and Alliance Corporation

 

Description:  The building faces southwest and is a one story red and white colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and faces the Judicial Center. The southwest front has a wide porch with six pillars supporting a wide pediment. Behind is a dark red colored brick section. The roof is sloped.

 

County Judicial Center – Morehead

 

0621wv12

 

Location:  700 West Main Street / Norman Wells Lane

Built:  2009 – 2011

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Sherman-Carter Barnhart

Contractor:  Packs, Inc. and Alliance Corporation

 

Description:  The building faces northeast and is a two story dark red and white brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and faces the County Courthouse. The northwest front has a curved center section with glass entrance on the first story and vertical windows on the second story. The east and west red colored brick sections project from the main building. The roof line is flat.

 

Old County Courthouse – Morehead

 

0607wv12

 

Location:  205 East Main Street / Court Street

Built:  1896 – 1899

Style:  Victorian

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Clark & Howard

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a three story red colored brick structure. The southeast front has an arched entrance on the first story with three windows and a large fanlight window above. On the west corner is a tower with steep roof. The building served as the courthouse until 1981. The building was renovated from 1977 to 1987. The building now houses the Rowan County Arts Center.

 

Note:  The first court met at the residence of Dixon Clark and the first courthouse was built in 1857. The building was burned on March 21, 1864 during the Civil War.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Rowan County Courthouse

 

Courthouses: 

N – Fleming County and Lewis County

E – Carter County and Elliott County

S – Morgan County, Menifee County and Bath County

W – Bath County and Fleming County

 

 

 

0617wv12

 

 

0618wv12

 

 

0619wv12

 

 

0606wv12

 

 

0608wv12

 

 

0609wv12

 

 

0605wv12

Photos taken 2012