Perry County

US States / H-L / Kentucky / Perry County

Perry County is named for Oliver Hazard Perry, who was a naval officer during the War of 1812.


Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Breathhitt County

E – Knott County and Letcher County

S – Harlan County 

W – Leslie County, Clay County and Owsley County         


Created:  November 2, 1820                  Map of Kentucky highlighting Perry County

County Seat: 

Hazard  1820 – present


County Courthouse – Hazard  


Location:  481 Main Street / Lovern Street

Built:  1964 – 1965

Style:  Modern Victorian

Architect:  H A Spaulding

Contractor:  D Johnson of Ashland


Description:  The building faces southwest and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of Hazard. The building is an “H” shape. The center of the southwest front has a large recessed porch with four columns rising to a header at the roof line.  There is a wide cornice running below the flat roof line.


County Hall of Justice – Hazard  




Location:  545 Main Street / Lovern Street

Built:  2002 – 2004

Style:  Modern

Architect:  CMW Inc. of Lexington

Contractor:  Codell Construction Company of Winchester.


Description:  The building faces southwest and is a four story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of Hazard on the north  side of the courthouse. The south corner has a large semi-circular section with five large columns rising from square bases to a wide header at the roof line with wide dome. Behind the columns is a glass panel wall. The main entrance is on the first story. A wide cornice runs along the flat roof line. The building backs into a hill. 


See:  The contractor was Codell Construction Company of Winchester which company constructed many courthouse in Kentucky ( see  Louisville ).


History:  The county was created in 1820 and Perry Court House was selected as the county seat in 1821. The first county meeting was held in the home of Bede Moore and court was held in the home of Elijah Combs. In 1854, the name of the town was changed to Hazard. A log courthouse had been erected and continued as the first courthouse. The second and third courthouses were built. The fourth courthouse was a two story structure built by Colonel H N Salyers in 1871. The courthouse was destroyed by fire in 1911. The fifth courthouse was a two story structure designed and built by B F Smith Fire Proofing Construction Company in 1911 to 1912. The sixth and present courthouse was constructed in 1964 to 1965 at a cost of $910,000. The County Hall of Justice was constructed in 2002 to 2004




County Courthouse – Hazard



















Plaque 1911 County Courthouse




County Hall of Justice – Hazard

























Photos taken 2014 and 2018