Ohio County is named for the Ohio River which used to form the northern boundary of the county until the creation of Daviess County and Hancock County.
Created: December 17, 1798
Hartford 1798 – present
County Courthouse – Hartford
Location: 301 South Main Street / East Washington Street
Built: 1941 – 1943
Style: Art Deco / Moderne
Architect: Walter Scott Roberts of Owensboro
Contractor: Wescott & Thornton
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story gray colored stone and poured concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds of Courthouse Square and sits on a slight rise. The southwest front has a large rectangular stone arch with the entrance recessed and a large window above the entrance doors. On large window on either side, flank the central arch and three small vertical windows, flank the central arch on the second story. The building was constructed as a Works Project Administration project.
Note: The first courthouse was a log cabin built in 1799 to 1800. The previous courthouse was constructed by William H Miller in 1865 anfter the third courthouse was burned during the Civil War.
Photos taken 2007 and 2018